Wednesday 26 May 2010

Lessons in life

Today I was going to talk a little about Technology and how times have changed, but I will defer that chat for another day. Instead I'd like to tell you something that happened after I posted my last entry.

As you know, I painted a somewhat dissolutioned portrait of how selfish people can be, and how two opposing views mean as much to each person despite an obvious selfishness on the part of one party. On Wednesday however, I experienced a slice of absolute selfless kindness at a garage forecourt of all places. A place not normally known for courtesy and good natured people.

Before I enlighten you, Do you believe in fate? Do you often find that life sometimes throws you a bone when you most need it? Read at least the first part of The Celestine Prophecy to see what I mean. You can buy it for a penny plus postage at Amazon.

Anyway, it could be just a small thing like an impromptu spur of the moment shopping trip provides you with a perfect gift or pick me up, or it could be an out of the blue e-mail from a friend which cheers you up.. These things do happen all the time, I'll leave you to decide why or whether its pure coincidence.

ANYWAY, to get back to my original point. I was saying how selfish some people are, and days later I find myself in a garage forecourt, oweing £50 for petrol with only £30 in my wallet, no mobile phone and so no way of acessing PIN codes for credit cards, and with no debit card, and no one at home to come to my rescue! I was stuck and unable to pay.

How did this happen? well I unusually paid for groceries the previous evening and put my card into my jeans pocket instead of in my wallet. That morning I had put my phone on charge and left it in the kitchen, and I don't recall when I took money out but I had had that cash in my wallet for at least a week. All these events led me to the point whereby I couldn't leave the garage without paying. I also unusually had my drivers license on me but I was still not allowed to leave. Add to this chain of events that I called in at Aldi on the way home which added 20 minutes to my usual journey.. AND the previous Friday there had been a conversation in our tea room at work about just this type of situation and how you would get yourself out of it. Nobody said the following..
That a stranger would ask me how much I needed and then give me the £20 to pay my bill, not only that, but that he would just leave his phone number on trust that I would get in touch and return the money!!
He didn't even take any of my details! I later called round to his home and gave the money to his wife with a sense of relief and renewed optimism that there are good people out there and that "Fate" will often step in and remind you of this fact:)

Something to think about next time you feel that life has been dumping on you a little too much:)

No comments:

Post a Comment